Sure, it’s still the season for inner tube river floats, sunset bike rides and cramming your Instagram feed full of magical moments designed to give everyone else FOMO. Whether you’re living it up outside or cramming in a few more volunteer hours, however, that very special time of year is rolling around again. It’s time to fill out the Common Application!
Here are the prompts for the 650-word statement from the Common App site:
• Some students have a background or story that is so central to their identity that they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
• Recount an incident or time when you experienced failure. How did it affect you, and what lessons did you learn?
• Reflect on a time when you challenged a belief or idea. What prompted you to act? Would you make the same decision again?
• Describe a place or environment where you are perfectly content. What do you do or experience there, and why is it meaningful to you?
• Discuss an accomplishment or event, formal or informal, that marked your transition from childhood to adulthood within your culture, community, or family.
If one of these topics doesn’t immediately jump out at you, you might be primed for a Premiere Service consultation to glean one of our editor’s insights about which direction to take and how to get there. If you already know which question sparks your fancy, get started on a free write and send it our way for an Advanced Service revision!
Make sure to give yourself plenty of time to navigate potential glitches like website timeouts and payment snafus- this means submitting well BEFORE the 11:59pm deadline of whatever date is listed in the app:
Rest easy – no matter what you’ve been up to, you still have plenty of time to write a stellar essay that expresses the idiosyncratic gems of your candidacy. Get a head start with us, and you won’t be scrambling to synthesize the unfathomable wisdom of your life so far in the last moments before the deadline!
Ivy Eyes Editing